Five federal agencies have invested $2.2 million over three years in order to form the East Bay Biomedical Manufacturing Network. The objective of the Network is to enhance the San Francisco East Bay innovation ecosystem for technology transfer, workforce development, and economic growth in bioscience and medical device manufacturing. The Network’s specific efforts include:
- Identifying and mapping regional biomedical manufacturers and suppliers in order to better connect innovative suppliers with customers;
- Assisting the transfer of university and government laboratory research to companies that can commercialize new ideas;
- Providing people with the education and training companies need to capitalize on business opportunities;
- Supporting entrepreneurs with technical and business assistance, funding preparation, and connection to established businesses and financial sector representatives; and
- Creating a regional leadership team with industry, research, education, and economic development partners.
The East Bay Biomedical Manufacturing Network partner organizations include the University of California Berkeley, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Laney College, Manex Consulting – a federally funded Manufacturing Extension Partnership, the Workforce Development Board of Contra Costa County, and the Northern California Small Business Development Center. These partners will build connections to link regional efforts focused on bioscience and medical device manufacturing, constructing a virtual “one-stop” center for technology innovation, education, investment, and job creation.
For more information, contact Gregory Theyel, Program Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Manex’s role in the Biomedical Manufacturing Network, as a Biotech industry expert, is to provide Biotech businesses with an assessment of their current operations, make recommendations on areas of improvement and provide manufacturing consulting services that impact strategy, people, processes and/or performance.
The Corporation for Manufacturing Excellence (Manex), a private non-profit corporation, was established in 1995 to provide growth services to small and mid-size manufacturers in Northern California. Manex operates through a cooperative agreement with the Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), under the Department of Commerce. Our mission is to create solutions for manufacturing growth and profitability. As an MEP affiliate, we provide services to manufacturers to reduce costs, increase revenue and develop a strong workforce. We accomplish these goals by creating solutions, value and advantages for each manufacturer.
For more information, contact Michael Shabaka, Industry Manager (email@example.com)