Availability: Immediately, open until filled
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Director of Programs
Employment Status: Full-time, Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with industry standards and experience.
Benefits: Full-time Employee Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and 401(k)
BayBio is the non-profit trade association serving Northern California’s dynamic life science industry. Incorporated in 1990, BayBio represents nearly 500 member organizations in a community of more than 95,000 life science employees. Headquartered in South San Francisco, the organization covers a 10-county region from Santa Cruz to Sacramento. The organization is growing rapidly through membership, industry advocacy, events, and new member services.
The Events Manager is part of a small but very busy events production team, producing over 50 events per year. S/he works under the direction of the Programs Director and with other BayBio department heads, staff, sponsors and volunteers in order to develop and successfully execute BayBio programs.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, take-charge professional with ability to manage administration and logistics in support of the Programs Director in a busy special events environment. S/he will be part of a busy, high-functioning team and should have a passion for event management, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional and be able to build relationships with internal and external customers.
- Assist in the planning and execution of meeting logistics for more than 4-5 BayBio events monthly with attendance ranging from 25 to over 1,000
- Anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet deadlines with little supervision
- Manage negotiations for space contracts and book event space, arrange food and beverage, order supplies and audiovisual equipment, make travel arrangements, order event signs, and ensure appropriate décor (floral, linens, color schemes, etc.) to meet the quality expectations of BayBio
- Conduct research, make site visits, and find resources to help staff make decisions about event possibilities
- Collect invoices and request payment for various events-related items (registration, vendor payment, etc.)
- Track event budget for all events and communicate closely with team
- Create and revise room layouts for each event
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters
- Manage registration for all events
- Assist managing on-site production and clean-up as necessary
- Prepare nametags, notebooks, packages, gift bags and registration lists, seating cards, etc.
- Close out events as required
- Manage the calendar and bookings for BayBio’s on-site event space and shared work spaces
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Minimum 2-3 years in conference and/or special events coordination/planning
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter with meticulous attention to detail, strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, quick study
- Excellent customer service ethic and high quality standards
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to maintain calm and professional behavior under pressure, team player
- Proficient with the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches
- Salesforce or other CRM experience a plus
- Ability to work occasional late evenings and early mornings
- Physically able to lift/handle up to 50lbs of event materials and equipment. Must be able to stand, talk, listen and respond for an extended period of time. In order to set up for events, must be able to push, grasp, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl
- Dependable personal transportation for frequent work off-site throughout Northern California
- College degree preferred
- Please send your resume, cover letter and salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: DUE TO THE LARGE NUMBER OF RESPONSES, WE ARE UNABLE TO RESPOND TO EVERY SUBMISSION. WE WILL CONTACT YOU IF WE FIND YOUR BACKGROUND TO BE AN EXCELLENT FIT.
*** PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS ***